The Oakland kid had a stellar college career that earned an honorable mention at All-Pac 12 while in college.
Biography – Who is Kevin King?
Born on May 5, 1995, Kevin Charles King wasted no time getting into sports, playing basketball, soccer, and baseball.
Charles played defensive end at Bishop O’Dowd High School where he had a growth spurt from 5’7 to 6’2 as a freshman. He was named the Most Outstanding Defensive Player at Nike football training camp in Oakland, leading his team in interceptions. He also received recognition for his efforts in athletics.
A highly regarded prospect out of high school, Kevin opted for the University of Washington in 2013 where he majored in American Ethnic Studies and Retail Management. King played for the Washington Huskies safely in his first year and second year. He also appeared in almost every game except for the occasional illness and injury he suffered.
Kevin King moved to cornerback in his junior year and continued to excel. However, due to injury, he quit the Bowl game. His campaign efforts saw him become an honorable mention All-Pac-12 team, a position he maintained through his senior year of college. He was also named to the All-Pac-12 varsity team at the end of his senior year after having 2 interceptions and 44 tackles.
His career in the NFL
Prior to the 2017 NFL Draft, many football analysts and publications talked about Kevin King’s high prospect. NFL.com’s Lance Zierlein explained in particular that the unconventional cornerback uses his height to his advantage on the field of play and doesn’t back down after physical fights. His weaknesses were also assessed as being his footwork, form and speed.
King was drafted by the Green Bay Packers as the 33rd overall pick on day two of the drill. After a slight delay due to an NFL rule, Kevin finally joined his new team and was put through his paces by cornerback coach Joe Whitt.
In his rookie season, he was involved in nine games, five of which came as debuts. However, a shoulder injury threatened to jeopardize his goals for the season. It was bad enough that he sometimes couldn’t raise his arms above his head. After trying to work through the pain, the cornerback was eventually rested and put on reserve, hurting the season. Soon after, he went under the knife to fix the problem.
Other Facts About Kevin King
1. Back in high school, Kevin King was named by Maxpreps.com to the All-NorCal First Team and Division Three All-State First Team.
2. The tall cornerback is 1.91m tall and weighs 200lbs (91kg).
3. Kevin King has demonstrated his leadership ability since his time in Washington. Once, during a fall training, the team’s performance was abysmal, and he hugged his team to encourage them to improve their game.
4. King’s off-screen record is pristine. The Packers CB has never had a problem off the field. He was not involved in any controversy
5. In his senior year of college football, he memorably made a one-handed interception. It was arguably the most impressive game of the campaign.
6. Throughout 2016, the cornerback faced 64 targets but didn’t drop a single touchdown. In his last 28 college appearances, King allowed only one score.
7. Not much is known about Kevin’s family relationships. However, he let slip during an interview that he was in a relationship with a woman simply called Aaliyah.
According to various sources, King’s four-year deal with the Packers is worth more than $7 million, with a signing bonus of more than $3.2 million and a cap of more than 1,000. $2 million in 2017.
9 Kevin King made a gesture worthy of applause with his first check as an NFL player: he bought his mother a decent house. According to her own social media posts, her mother has always wanted to own a nice house.